Modern media display guns in many different lights, leaving the general public with an extremely split view on the subject. This being said, at this ammo store Sacramento, we believe that safety should be the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about or handling guns.
Below you will find the basics of firing a handgun consistently, correctly and most important of all, safely.
The Four Fundamental Rules
- Always handle a firearm as if were loaded.
- Always keep a firearm pointed away from others or in directions that may potentially cause harm to yourself or others.
- Always keep your finger away from the trigger guard until you are ready to shoot.
- Always make yourself aware of not only your target but your surroundings as well.
When firing a gun, it is crucial to take into consideration your surroundings outside of the target in question. Outside factors play just as an important role in gun safety as personal safety practices.
How to Grip a Handgun
Now that we have the fundamentals down, let’s move on to the fun stuff. How to hold a handgun.
- Always keep your dominant hand with a firm grip, high on the back strap of the grip. Doing so allows you to have more control and leverage against the recoil of the weapon.
- Keep your supporting hand pressed firmly against the exposed section of the gun grip with all four fingers placed under the trigger guard.
When done correctly, your dominant and supporting hands should fit together without any discomfort in a secure and steady position.
Moving onto the next step, the shooting stance stands as a key part in shooting safety and success.
- Stand with your feet a shoulder-width apart.
- Stand with your knees slightly bent.
- Raise your handgun with your dominant arm extended, ready to absorb recoil
In order to successfully fire a handgun with accuracy, you first have to figure out which eye is your dominant eye. Perform a quick test by performing the following steps.
- Create a 1-inch circle by touching your index finger to your thumb.
- Hold this circle at an arm’s length and focus on a distant object within the center of the circle.
- With both eyes open, quickly bring the circle to your face.
If done correctly, your hand should naturally gravitate your dominant eye in order to maintain focus. Once you have properly established your dominant eye, use it to align your handgun’s front sight and rear sight. Using this, you can establish your sight picture. The sight picture is the shape or image created through the combination of your rear sight, front sight, and target. You know your sight picture is correct when your front and rear sights are clear and your target is blurry.
Firing / Trigger Management
Contrary to the common saying “pulling the trigger”, firing a handgun requires more of a controlled squeezing motion. It is key that you do not disrupt your sights in the process. Squeeze the trigger until you feel resistance. Do not stop there. Continue to squeeze as if you were trying to move the trigger to the rear.
Redline Ballistics is an ammo store Sacramento based business dedicated to providing its customers with premium factory and reloaded ammunition. This ammo store Sacramento understands the value of safety. This is why Redline Ballistics takes pride in offering the highest quality factory and reloaded ammunition to offer its customers the safest shooting experience possible. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for more news, tips, and deals.